Neighbors helping neighbors–this is what Firewise USA® is all about. Residents join together as a Firewise site and take actions to prepare themselves, their homes and their properties against the threat of wildfire. They look out for one another and provide those in need of assistance with help in emergency preparation.
There are currently 74 Firewise sites here in Marin, including more than 21,000 homes–the largest countywide participation in the country! Fire Safe Marin provides these residents with resources and support to organize and learn about personal preparedness, alerts and warning, local evacuation plans, and strategies to make their community more fire-resistant.
Assemble your go-kit before a wildfire or other disaster occurs, and keep it easily accessible so you can take it with you when you have to evacuate. Plan to be away from your home for an extended period of time.
Each person in your household should have a readily accessible go-kit and keep a spare for visitors. Backpacks work great for storing these items and are easy to carry when you leave.
Visit any of the below websites for help preparing your Go-Bag:
What is the difference between Alert Marin and Nixle? They are both electronic emergency notification systems, but each system serves a different purpose.
When do we use Alert Marin?
· When ACTION is needed at a SPECIFIC ADDRESS or NEIGHBORHOOD
· Imminent flooding, wildfires, and evacuations with life safety implications
· During-event information about evacuation routes, shelters, transportation
· Other public safety incidents where lives may be at risk
When do we use Nixle?
· When INFORMATION is needed in a ZIP CODE
· Road closures, general updates, issues affecting larger areas
· Post-disaster information about shelters, transportation, or supplies
· Police activity and general public safety information
To receive Alert Marin notifications, visit MARIN COUNTY SHERIFF WEBSITE to register
To receive Nixle notifications, text your zip code to 888-777